CBD Mojito: Why We Love This Drink
CBD cocktails are a hot trend. With lists of recipes in editorials and even whole books on the subject, we had to jump on the bandwagon with a CBD-infused cocktail of our own. What better way to start than with a classic?
A mojito is a classic and refreshing cocktail with summery flavors. It’s the national drink of Cuba, with a lovely hit of rum, the pirate’s drink of choice. Pair it with mint and lime, then top it up with soda water, and you’ve got a delicious drink that’s easy to sip on all day long.
But why bother adding CBD to the mix? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?
Well, CBD cocktails are popular for a number of reasons. Namely, many people feel that it gives them a more mellow buzz than drinking alcohol alone. For some, it’s the ultimate relaxation combination.
And yes, it’s safe to use the two together. While there are no formal studies on the matter, there is a wealth of CBD-infused alcoholic drinks on the market, and thus far there have been no complications.
Something to note, however, is that a higher alcohol by volume (ABV) in the drink means that you’re less likely to get those mellow notes from the CBD. Check the percentage strength on your rum and opt for something with a lower ABV rather than a higher one.
A final tip is to opt for a CBD tincture rather than something oil-based, as it may assimilate better with the drink. Don’t worry if you have an oil-based product, though; it still works.
What You’ll Need
- 2 limes, juiced (plus extra, to garnish)
- 10 mint leaves
- 4oz white rum
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup soda water
- CBD tincture, measured according to serving preference
- 2x tall glasses
Step-by-Step CBD Mojito
Divide the mint leaves and add to two tall glasses. Add 1 tsp sugar and half of the lime juice to each glass. Muddle them together, crushing the mint leaves as you go – you can use the end of a rolling pin for this step. Be careful not to crush the mint leaves too much; a gentle bruising works best.
Add a handful of ice to each glass. Pour 2oz of rum into each glass, stirring with a long-handled spoon.
Top up each glass with soda water, then stir in a couple of drops of CBD tincture. Garnish with mint and a lime wedge. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Additional Recipe Info
Although CBD cocktails would have seemed a little bit ‘out there’ a decade ago, they are now super popular. There are lots of reasons why users are sipping on these alcoholic hemp creations, including the following:
- THEY TASTE GREAT TOGETHER: Some people find the flavor of hemp oils a little too bitter. But if you add it to the right cocktail, it can make a world of difference. Skilled bartenders can either mask the taste of CBD altogether or use the flavors to their advantage to entice out some of the more subtle notes.
- CBD IS RELAXING: Numerous people use CBD for its relaxing attributes. It is more commonly studied for anxiety, although anecdotal reports from users suggest that it can be used for milder cases of stress.
- MAY DULL THE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL: According to some drinkers, the relaxing, anti-nausea effects of CBD counteract some of alcohol’s downsides quite well. However, it must be said that both CBD and alcohol affect everybody differently, and there are no formal studies on this particular issue.
- CAN BE USED IN NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS: Not a drinker? Not a problem! Many people use CBD mocktails to get the same mellow feeling they get from one drink, only without the alcohol. Make this recipe non-alcoholic by leaving out the rum.
- GREAT FOR THE PARTY VIBE: While enjoying a CBD cocktail alone can be a great way to unwind, it’s even better to enjoy one with friends. Just make sure your companions are fully aware that you’ve added CBD to the mix and ensure they are comfortable with that.